Somerset-based opportunity for an Operations Manager in Electronics Manufacturing, we require experience in the assembly/testing of electronic components, technical knowledge and understanding of componentry/electronics systems and technology. Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles, experience of responsibility for Quality Management & and ERP Systems! You must be based within a 20-mile radius of Wellington, Somerset. We require someone looking for the next step in their career, wanting long term career development into Operations Director.
Enable Futures are operating as an employment business on behalf of its client and recruiting for an Operations Manager (Electronics Manufacturing) based in Wellington, Somerset. Operating from a purpose-built facility in Somerset, our client are market leaders in the design and assembly of equipment for testing electrical systems in Aerospace, Rail, specialist vehicles, and the Oil and Gas sector. The bespoke equipment is continually evolving and can be used by customers for new-build equipment and MRO applications. The Company is renowned for the reliability of its equipment and ongoing product development, which enables them to be effective with increasingly sophisticated systems.
The Operations Manager position will report to the Managing Director, and the person appointed will be responsible for the management of all manufacturing and assembly operations, including equipment being serviced. They are expected to promote a culture of Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement and Total Quality. The Job Holder will also be expected to ensure product quality and conformance to all product specifications, as well as On-Time Delivery (OTD). Responsibility for Operator training will also form part of the role.
In addition, there will be the responsibility for Inventory Management and the sourcing of components and materials. The Company will be introducing a new ERP System for Production Planning and Scheduling and Inventory Management and Procurement, and the Operations Manager will be involved in the specification and implementation process. There is likely to be some travel involved in visiting Customers and Suppliers.
The working hours are 8.00am-5.00pm Monday to Friday. The annual salary is £35,000 - £55,000 PA, dependant on experience.
- Operations Management: The job holder will be expected to manage all manufacturing activities consistent with meeting customer expectations for OTD. The business's principal activities involve soldering, wiring, and assembly and testing of electronic rack-based systems and the repair of customers' equipment returned for maintenance/overhaul requirements.
- Service Management: The operations manager will be responsible for installing systems and training customers in relation to more basic systems. Regarding more complex systems, the Service function will be part of a larger installation and support team.
- Recruitment and Training: As the Company continues to expand, the person appointed will be responsible for recruiting and selecting new operatives, including trade testing.
- Quality Management: The Operations Manager will be responsible for Quality Management in respect of new products and those that are returned for repair and refurbishment. ISO9001/2015. Familiarity with related quality systems such as AS9100 Rev' D' would be helpful.
- Health and Safety: The Operations Manager will be responsible for Health and Safety within all manufacturing and test areas and ensure safe working practices throughout.
- Lean and Continuous Improvement: The deployment of Lean Manufacturing principles, including Continuous Improvement and Total Quality Management, will be expected. This includes personnel training in problem-solving techniques, including Root Cause Analysis and possibly Value Stream Mapping where applicable. The development of high-performance teams to support Continuous Improvement is also expected.
- Production Planning and Scheduling - of all manufacturing activities, including manpower planning. On-Time Delivery and Customer Satisfaction are major priorities and key performance indicators. The Job Holder will be directly involved in implementing the new ERP system, which is intended to provide greater visibility of customer demand, resource requirements and potential bottlenecks. Accurate forecasting and prioritization are of paramount importance. Daily production meetings will enable the Job Holder and their team to react promptly to provide an additional resource from either workforce or a technical perspective.
- Logistics Management: Inventory Management and close liaison with Suppliers in ordering components and materials are key responsibilities in balancing resource requirements against existing and impending orders as defined within the ERP System. This will involve sourcing new and alternative suppliers, and the assessment of supplier performance in terms of quality, delivery, and the price is important. It is expected that the person Appointed will visit existing and potential new suppliers as appropriate and determine standards of performance to meet quality and technical compliance. Close liaison with sales regarding current enquiries and impending orders is also important.
- Management Team: The job holder will be a key part of the senior management team and will be expected to work closely and cooperatively with all functional heads, including Engineering, Sales and Marketing, and Finance.
Experience, attributes & skills sought:
- Candidates must have previous management/supervisory experience in the assembly and testing of electronic components and systems in a modern manufacturing environment.
- Good technical knowledge and understanding of componentry and electronics systems and technology would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing principles is required.
- Previous experience of responsibility for Quality Management in a manufacturing/assembly environment is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of ERP Systems are required.
- Knowledge of electronic componentry and expertise in working with suppliers is desirable.
In return, you will benefit from:
- Company Pension.
- 25 Days Annual Leave + 8 Bank Holidays.
- Onsite Parking.
- Private Medical Health Care
- Bonus Scheme